Are we staring in to the face of a global apocalypse brought on by our excesses? Scientists who have been monitoring the rate of climate change in recent years sure seem to be think so. In fact, some rather grim figures have emerged when you compare the increase in the rates of global warming and CO2 emissions.
Is the clock really ticking for Planet earth?
The current rate of carbon dioxide emissions is so greater than it has ever been in the history of the planet. In fact, even if we were to lower this emission by 25%, it would only help in curbing the
growth in polar temperatures by a mere 2 degrees Celsius. The pollution woes of the world are being exacerbated by the continual deforestations, mining and use of fossil fuel and industrial growth.
The change in the climate
The rate of change of climatic conditions due to the melting of polar glaciers, rise in ocean water temperature and pollution is expected to be 10 times faster than any change that has occurred over the last 65 million years. This trend will undoubtedly put pressure on current ecosystems, flora and fauna which will have to make evolutionary and behavioral changes to adapt to such a significant rate of increase in temperatures.
What can we expect as a result of the rising CO 2 emission and temperature?
Heavy rainfall, flash floods caused due to them and heat waves are expected to become frequent occurrences if we cannot control the pollution and these climatic changes. If the emission of greenhouse gases continues at its present rate, the annual temperatures the world over may increase by 4-6 degree Celsius in the next 20 years.
Fortunately, the drastic, projected outcome of these climatic disasters are not etched in stone. This means that we still have a chance to control the rate at which the temperature changes. However, it should be accepted that some of the damage is already done as massive chunks of polar glaciers are found breaking and melting away.
- Fantasy Football Week 14 Instant Reaction: Searching for replacements as Eagles fear ACL tear for Carson WentzFantasy Football Week 14 Instant Reaction: Searching for replacements as Eagles fear ACL tear for Carson Wentz CBSSports.comEagles clinch NFC East, but Carson Wentz's knee injury big concern ESPN (blog)NFL playoff picture after Week 14 USA TODAYRams fall short on big stage against NFC-leading Eagles Los Angeles TimesFull coverage
- Mitch Trubisky returns home to Ohio and enjoys his finest day as a proMitch Trubisky returns home to Ohio and enjoys his finest day as a pro Chicago TribuneDoc: Bengals-Bears game an ugly reminder of the losses gone by Cincinnati.comAJ McCarron makes fourth-quarter appearance for Cincinnati Bengals AL.comFull coverage
- Garoppalo, 49ers optimistic after winning 3 of 4 gamesGaroppalo, 49ers optimistic after winning 3 of 4 games USA TODAYNFL will explore whether concussion protocol was followed with Savage NBCSports.comHit that left Texans' Tom Savage shaking will bring scrutiny to the NFL's concussion protocol Washington PostSan Francisco 49ers Football News, Schedule, Roster, Stats - SB Nation SB Nation49ers send Texans to sixth loss in past seven games Chron.comFull coverage
- Keaton Jones receives celebrity gift offers from Chris Evans, Dana White and more after viral bullying videoKeaton Jones receives celebrity gift offers from Chris Evans, Dana White and more after viral bullying video Fox NewsCelebrities Praise Keaton Jones: Chris Evans Invites Bullied Boy To 'Avengers' Premiere DeadlineChris Evans, Millie Bobby Brown, Snoop Dogg and More Stars Shower Bullied Student Keaton Jones With Support E! OnlineFull coverage
- Vikings' Case Keenum looking ahead after 8-game win streak ends in CarolinaVikings' Case Keenum looking ahead after 8-game win streak ends in Carolina TwinCities.com-Pioneer PressNOTEBOOK: Rare Red Zone Woes Undermine Vikings Offense & Defense Vikings.comPanthers' D records 6 sacks, 3 takeaways to beat Vikings Sacramento BeeAnalysis of Panthers OT Matt Kalil's performance: Is he worth the money? Can he be? Charlotte ObserverVikings vs. Panthers RECAP, score and stats (12/10/17) | […]
- Jags hold off Seahawks' rally, take control of AFC SouthJags hold off Seahawks' rally, take control of AFC South NFL.comJaguars hold on for 30-24 victory over Seahawks NBCSports.comWatch: Seahawks' Quinton Jefferson Tries To Climb Into Stands In Jacksonville After Ejection Sports IllustratedBell Tolls: Russell Wilson looks to stay hot in Seahawks' trip to 'Sacksonville' USA TODAYOptimism quickly turns to defeat, and worse, for Seahawks in 30-24 setback in […]