Nostalgia is a universal feeling; meaning that there is nobody out there who never thinks about their past. In fact, it can often be healthy to take a look at the memories in your mental album. However, if this leaves you in a bleak emotional state, you are obviously doing something wrong. In fact, being obsessed with your past is the root cause of many mental issues.
From fanatically pursuing the looks of their youth with plastic surgery to losing the zest for life just because a loved one is no longer around, people can do themselves a lot of harm by not getting out of their past. So, if nostalgia has turned into a problem for you, here is how you can remedy the situation.
Self reflection is the key to healing: Ponder over your experiences from a third party point of view. As long as you invest your emotions into nostalgia, you won’t be seeing or willing to accept what happened in a more positive light. Think of the ways in which you are better off today than what you were in the past.
Make a decision to live in the present: You cannot exercise control over what happened in the past, but your present and the memories you create for tomorrow are all yours to do with as you please. So, make a decision that you will not let your past impact your today. If doing something or going somewhere specific brings on a bout of nostalgia, refrain from those acts.
Question negative nostalgia: Ask yourself if it was really all bad? Remember, there is also a positive side to every coin; it just that we fail to notice it. As a matter of fact, draw up a list of thing that were good about your past and see what can be brought into your current life. For example, if you enjoyed the relaxed ways of your home country, think of ways in which you can make your home reflect this unique quality of your motherland.
- Inflation comes for aluminum, as the everywhere metal surges - NNY360Inflation comes for aluminum, as the everywhere metal surges NNY360
- Mental health experts react to Simone Biles’ withdraw from team competition - KTSM 9 NewsMental health experts react to Simone Biles’ withdraw from team competition KTSM 9 News
- EUROTRASH News Round Up Monday! - PezCycling NewsEUROTRASH News Round Up Monday! PezCycling News
- Tokyo Olympics, Women's Hockey highlights: Netherlands beats India 5-1 - SportstarTokyo Olympics, Women's Hockey highlights: Netherlands beats India 5-1 Sportstar
- Amrita Sher-Gil's Record Spotlighting One of Art History's Most Remarkable Women - MutualArt.comAmrita Sher-Gil's Record Spotlighting One of Art History's Most Remarkable Women MutualArt.com
- Gaming Girl's Free Fire ID, stats, K/D ratio, and more - SportskeedaGaming Girl's Free Fire ID, stats, K/D ratio, and more Sportskeeda