Nostalgia is a universal feeling; meaning that there is nobody out there who never thinks about their past. In fact, it can often be healthy to take a look at the memories in your mental album. However, if this leaves you in a bleak emotional state, you are obviously doing something wrong. In fact, being obsessed with your past is the root cause of many mental issues.
From fanatically pursuing the looks of their youth with plastic surgery to losing the zest for life just because a loved one is no longer around, people can do themselves a lot of harm by not getting out of their past. So, if nostalgia has turned into a problem for you, here is how you can remedy the situation.
Self reflection is the key to healing: Ponder over your experiences from a third party point of view. As long as you invest your emotions into nostalgia, you won’t be seeing or willing to accept what happened in a more positive light. Think of the ways in which you are better off today than what you were in the past.
Make a decision to live in the present: You cannot exercise control over what happened in the past, but your present and the memories you create for tomorrow are all yours to do with as you please. So, make a decision that you will not let your past impact your today. If doing something or going somewhere specific brings on a bout of nostalgia, refrain from those acts.
Question negative nostalgia: Ask yourself if it was really all bad? Remember, there is also a positive side to every coin; it just that we fail to notice it. As a matter of fact, draw up a list of thing that were good about your past and see what can be brought into your current life. For example, if you enjoyed the relaxed ways of your home country, think of ways in which you can make your home reflect this unique quality of your motherland.
- Suspect in fatal attack on Ventura restaurant patron was reported to police hours earlier, authorities saySuspect in fatal attack on Ventura restaurant patron was reported to police hours earlier, authorities say Los Angeles TimesAs his daughter sat on his lap, a father was fatally stabbed by a homeless stranger, police said Washington PostMan killed while holding his 5-year-old daughter in random knife attack at California steakhouse The Denver PostApril 20, 2018 - Ventura […]
- A's lefty Sean Manaea blanks red-hot Red Sox for MLB's first no-hitter of 2018A's lefty Sean Manaea blanks red-hot Red Sox for MLB's first no-hitter of 2018 CBSSports.comForget that one call; Sean Manaea deserves our full attention ESPN (blog)Sean Manaea throws seventh no-hitter in Oakland A's history SFGateSean Manaea Stuns Everyone by No-Hitting Baseball's Best Team Sports IllustratedFull coverage
- Militarized Cops At Tiny Georgia Neo-Nazi Rally Arrest Counterprotesters For Wearing MasksMilitarized Cops At Tiny Georgia Neo-Nazi Rally Arrest Counterprotesters For Wearing Masks HuffPostNeo-Nazi Rally Draws About Two Dozen People and Upends a Small Georgia City New York TimesAt least 1 arrested at neo-Nazi rally in Georgia The Hill (blog)Anti-fascists protest neo-Nazi rally in Georgia, leading to 10 arrests but no injuries USA TODAYFull coverage
- 'MAGA' maniac shoves Mexican man onto Union Square subway tracks in racist rampage'MAGA' maniac shoves Mexican man onto Union Square subway tracks in racist rampage New York Daily NewsFull coverage
- As US, North Korea plan to meet, Iran warns against Trump dealsAs US, North Korea plan to meet, Iran warns against Trump deals ReutersIranian foreign minister says 'change of attitude' needed for prisoner swap talks PoliticoIran open to prisoner swap if US has "change of attitude," says Foreign Minister CBS NewsIs The Oil Market Ready For Sanctions On Iran? OilPrice.com'It will not be very pleasant,' Iran warns, if Trump sabotages […]
- Mitt Romney fails to secure Utah GOP nomination, will face primaryMitt Romney fails to secure Utah GOP nomination, will face primary CNNRomney forced into primary for Utah Senate seat Washington PostRomney's Path To Succeed Utah Sen. Hatch Just Got More Complicated NPRFull coverage