Nostalgia is a universal feeling; meaning that there is nobody out there who never thinks about their past. In fact, it can often be healthy to take a look at the memories in your mental album. However, if this leaves you in a bleak emotional state, you are obviously doing something wrong. In fact, being obsessed with your past is the root cause of many mental issues.
From fanatically pursuing the looks of their youth with plastic surgery to losing the zest for life just because a loved one is no longer around, people can do themselves a lot of harm by not getting out of their past. So, if nostalgia has turned into a problem for you, here is how you can remedy the situation.
Self reflection is the key to healing: Ponder over your experiences from a third party point of view. As long as you invest your emotions into nostalgia, you won’t be seeing or willing to accept what happened in a more positive light. Think of the ways in which you are better off today than what you were in the past.
Make a decision to live in the present: You cannot exercise control over what happened in the past, but your present and the memories you create for tomorrow are all yours to do with as you please. So, make a decision that you will not let your past impact your today. If doing something or going somewhere specific brings on a bout of nostalgia, refrain from those acts.
Question negative nostalgia: Ask yourself if it was really all bad? Remember, there is also a positive side to every coin; it just that we fail to notice it. As a matter of fact, draw up a list of thing that were good about your past and see what can be brought into your current life. For example, if you enjoyed the relaxed ways of your home country, think of ways in which you can make your home reflect this unique quality of your motherland.
- Stay the Same Is Theresa May's Regulatory Vision: Brexit UpdateStay the Same Is Theresa May's Regulatory Vision: Brexit Update BloombergBritain will not have 'Mad Max' economy to undercut rivals, Brexit minister says ReutersDaily briefing: No 'Mad Max' Brexit, chickenless KFC, ATC drones Financial TimesFull coverage
- More rain, flooding possible in southern WisconsinMore rain, flooding possible in southern Wisconsin Milwaukee Journal SentinelNBC5 Forecast: Multiple Rounds of Rain Dallas NewsFull coverage
- The Latest: Syria Rebel Leader Says New 'Holocaust' UnderwayThe Latest: Syria Rebel Leader Says New 'Holocaust' Underway U.S. News & World ReportMore bombs fall on Syria's Ghouta after heaviest toll in years ReutersNearly 100 Killed in Bombardment of Hard-Hit Suburb of Syrian Capital Wall Street JournalEastern Ghouta is another Srebrenica, we are looking away again The GuardianStarved and abandoned, a suburb of the Syrian capital braces for […]
- Grocery chain Albertsons to acquire Rite AidGrocery chain Albertsons to acquire Rite Aid CNBCRite Aid Surges After Albertsons Plans To Buy Part of Drug Store Chain TheStreet.comAlbertsons will buy chunk of Rite Aid that isn't going to Walgreens: WSJ ReutersRite Aid Corporation - RAD - Stock Price Today - Zacks ZacksAlbertsons Scoops Up Remainder of Rite Aid as Retailers Face Online Threat Wall Street JournalFull coverage
- Already seen 'Black Panther'? Here are some references you might have missed.Already seen 'Black Panther'? Here are some references you might have missed. Washington PostTeaching Activities for: '“Black Panther” Smashes Box Office Records and Hollywood Myths' New York TimesBlack Panther hunts down second biggest ever Marvel opening at UK box office The GuardianBlack Panther ditches the playbook by avoiding tropes of 'black films' Charleston City Paper'Black Panther' is a self-esteem […]
- Winter Olympics 2018: Americans Maia and Alex Shibutani win ice dance bronzeWinter Olympics 2018: Americans Maia and Alex Shibutani win ice dance bronze CBS NewsThe Shib Sibs win bronze! Ice dancing's favorite brother and sister take home a medal and say they 'embraced ... Daily MailMaia and Alex Shibutani Are Everyone's Favorite Skating Siblings. Here's How They Got to the Olympics TIMEFull coverage