Nostalgia is a universal feeling; meaning that there is nobody out there who never thinks about their past. In fact, it can often be healthy to take a look at the memories in your mental album. However, if this leaves you in a bleak emotional state, you are obviously doing something wrong. In fact, being obsessed with your past is the root cause of many mental issues.
From fanatically pursuing the looks of their youth with plastic surgery to losing the zest for life just because a loved one is no longer around, people can do themselves a lot of harm by not getting out of their past. So, if nostalgia has turned into a problem for you, here is how you can remedy the situation.
Self reflection is the key to healing: Ponder over your experiences from a third party point of view. As long as you invest your emotions into nostalgia, you won’t be seeing or willing to accept what happened in a more positive light. Think of the ways in which you are better off today than what you were in the past.
Make a decision to live in the present: You cannot exercise control over what happened in the past, but your present and the memories you create for tomorrow are all yours to do with as you please. So, make a decision that you will not let your past impact your today. If doing something or going somewhere specific brings on a bout of nostalgia, refrain from those acts.
Question negative nostalgia: Ask yourself if it was really all bad? Remember, there is also a positive side to every coin; it just that we fail to notice it. As a matter of fact, draw up a list of thing that were good about your past and see what can be brought into your current life. For example, if you enjoyed the relaxed ways of your home country, think of ways in which you can make your home reflect this unique quality of your motherland.
- Fantasy Football Week 14 Instant Reaction: Searching for replacements as Eagles fear ACL tear for Carson WentzFantasy Football Week 14 Instant Reaction: Searching for replacements as Eagles fear ACL tear for Carson Wentz CBSSports.comEagles clinch NFC East, but Carson Wentz's knee injury big concern ESPN (blog)NFL playoff picture after Week 14 USA TODAYRams fall short on big stage against NFC-leading Eagles Los Angeles TimesFull coverage
- Mitch Trubisky returns home to Ohio and enjoys his finest day as a proMitch Trubisky returns home to Ohio and enjoys his finest day as a pro Chicago TribuneDoc: Bengals-Bears game an ugly reminder of the losses gone by Cincinnati.comAJ McCarron makes fourth-quarter appearance for Cincinnati Bengals AL.comFull coverage
- Garoppalo, 49ers optimistic after winning 3 of 4 gamesGaroppalo, 49ers optimistic after winning 3 of 4 games USA TODAYNFL will explore whether concussion protocol was followed with Savage NBCSports.comHit that left Texans' Tom Savage shaking will bring scrutiny to the NFL's concussion protocol Washington PostSan Francisco 49ers Football News, Schedule, Roster, Stats - SB Nation SB Nation49ers send Texans to sixth loss in past seven games Chron.comFull coverage
- Keaton Jones receives celebrity gift offers from Chris Evans, Dana White and more after viral bullying videoKeaton Jones receives celebrity gift offers from Chris Evans, Dana White and more after viral bullying video Fox NewsCelebrities Praise Keaton Jones: Chris Evans Invites Bullied Boy To 'Avengers' Premiere DeadlineChris Evans, Millie Bobby Brown, Snoop Dogg and More Stars Shower Bullied Student Keaton Jones With Support E! OnlineFull coverage
- Vikings' Case Keenum looking ahead after 8-game win streak ends in CarolinaVikings' Case Keenum looking ahead after 8-game win streak ends in Carolina TwinCities.com-Pioneer PressNOTEBOOK: Rare Red Zone Woes Undermine Vikings Offense & Defense Vikings.comPanthers' D records 6 sacks, 3 takeaways to beat Vikings Sacramento BeeAnalysis of Panthers OT Matt Kalil's performance: Is he worth the money? Can he be? Charlotte ObserverVikings vs. Panthers RECAP, score and stats (12/10/17) | […]
- Jags hold off Seahawks' rally, take control of AFC SouthJags hold off Seahawks' rally, take control of AFC South NFL.comJaguars hold on for 30-24 victory over Seahawks NBCSports.comWatch: Seahawks' Quinton Jefferson Tries To Climb Into Stands In Jacksonville After Ejection Sports IllustratedBell Tolls: Russell Wilson looks to stay hot in Seahawks' trip to 'Sacksonville' USA TODAYOptimism quickly turns to defeat, and worse, for Seahawks in 30-24 setback in […]