We live in a society where almost everyone owns and operates a phone. Today even children as young as three years are allowed to own phones by their parents. But come to think of it not many people have telephone etiquette.
Before using a phone it is imperative that you understand how to operate it. Every phone worth its price comes with a manual that many may choose to ignore. Please ensure that you carefully read your telephone manual before you start using your phone. This way you get to understand when and how to use your gadget. You can imagine the embarrassment that would follow you if for example you sent a text meant for your spouse to your boss by pressing or touching the wrong button.
Have a plan before making any business call. The following acronym may be of use here-PASS. This stands for Purpose, Audience, Style and Structure.
Know the purpose of your call before you press the call button. This helps you gather all the necessary information and saves you the embarrassment of keeping your receiver on hold while you look for information. You also come out as an organized person.
Think about your audience. You need to understand your audience such that you call them at the most convenient time. For example business calls should be made during business hours (9am-5pm or 9am-4pm) depending on the country you come from.
Style in a telephone conversation regards the tone, pace and volume you adopt. You need to speak at a moderate pace-not too fast and not too slowly, do not also speak too loudly or too softly that the person on the other end does not hear you. Always adopt a friendly tone to encourage the person on the other end of the line to speak freely and clearly.
Lastly, a telephone conversation just like any other conversation has a beginning, a body and a conclusion. You for instance begin by greeting the receiver and probably end by thanking them or promising to call back with more details regarding the conversation you have just had.
Following the above tips will take you a long way in improving your mannerisms when making telephone calls.
- Stay the Same Is Theresa May's Regulatory Vision: Brexit UpdateStay the Same Is Theresa May's Regulatory Vision: Brexit Update BloombergBritain will not have 'Mad Max' economy to undercut rivals, Brexit minister says ReutersDaily briefing: No 'Mad Max' Brexit, chickenless KFC, ATC drones Financial TimesFull coverage
- More rain, flooding possible in southern WisconsinMore rain, flooding possible in southern Wisconsin Milwaukee Journal SentinelNBC5 Forecast: Multiple Rounds of Rain Dallas NewsFull coverage
- The Latest: Syria Rebel Leader Says New 'Holocaust' UnderwayThe Latest: Syria Rebel Leader Says New 'Holocaust' Underway U.S. News & World ReportMore bombs fall on Syria's Ghouta after heaviest toll in years ReutersNearly 100 Killed in Bombardment of Hard-Hit Suburb of Syrian Capital Wall Street JournalEastern Ghouta is another Srebrenica, we are looking away again The GuardianStarved and abandoned, a suburb of the Syrian capital braces for […]
- Grocery chain Albertsons to acquire Rite AidGrocery chain Albertsons to acquire Rite Aid CNBCRite Aid Surges After Albertsons Plans To Buy Part of Drug Store Chain TheStreet.comAlbertsons will buy chunk of Rite Aid that isn't going to Walgreens: WSJ ReutersRite Aid Corporation - RAD - Stock Price Today - Zacks ZacksAlbertsons Scoops Up Remainder of Rite Aid as Retailers Face Online Threat Wall Street JournalFull coverage
- Already seen 'Black Panther'? Here are some references you might have missed.Already seen 'Black Panther'? Here are some references you might have missed. Washington PostTeaching Activities for: '“Black Panther” Smashes Box Office Records and Hollywood Myths' New York TimesBlack Panther hunts down second biggest ever Marvel opening at UK box office The GuardianBlack Panther ditches the playbook by avoiding tropes of 'black films' Charleston City Paper'Black Panther' is a self-esteem […]
- Winter Olympics 2018: Americans Maia and Alex Shibutani win ice dance bronzeWinter Olympics 2018: Americans Maia and Alex Shibutani win ice dance bronze CBS NewsThe Shib Sibs win bronze! Ice dancing's favorite brother and sister take home a medal and say they 'embraced ... Daily MailMaia and Alex Shibutani Are Everyone's Favorite Skating Siblings. Here's How They Got to the Olympics TIMEFull coverage