We live in a society where almost everyone owns and operates a phone. Today even children as young as three years are allowed to own phones by their parents. But come to think of it not many people have telephone etiquette.
Before using a phone it is imperative that you understand how to operate it. Every phone worth its price comes with a manual that many may choose to ignore. Please ensure that you carefully read your telephone manual before you start using your phone. This way you get to understand when and how to use your gadget. You can imagine the embarrassment that would follow you if for example you sent a text meant for your spouse to your boss by pressing or touching the wrong button.
Have a plan before making any business call. The following acronym may be of use here-PASS. This stands for Purpose, Audience, Style and Structure.
Know the purpose of your call before you press the call button. This helps you gather all the necessary information and saves you the embarrassment of keeping your receiver on hold while you look for information. You also come out as an organized person.
Think about your audience. You need to understand your audience such that you call them at the most convenient time. For example business calls should be made during business hours (9am-5pm or 9am-4pm) depending on the country you come from.
Style in a telephone conversation regards the tone, pace and volume you adopt. You need to speak at a moderate pace-not too fast and not too slowly, do not also speak too loudly or too softly that the person on the other end does not hear you. Always adopt a friendly tone to encourage the person on the other end of the line to speak freely and clearly.
Lastly, a telephone conversation just like any other conversation has a beginning, a body and a conclusion. You for instance begin by greeting the receiver and probably end by thanking them or promising to call back with more details regarding the conversation you have just had.
Following the above tips will take you a long way in improving your mannerisms when making telephone calls.
- Suspect in fatal attack on Ventura restaurant patron was reported to police hours earlier, authorities saySuspect in fatal attack on Ventura restaurant patron was reported to police hours earlier, authorities say Los Angeles TimesAs his daughter sat on his lap, a father was fatally stabbed by a homeless stranger, police said Washington PostMan killed while holding his 5-year-old daughter in random knife attack at California steakhouse The Denver PostApril 20, 2018 - Ventura […]
- A's lefty Sean Manaea blanks red-hot Red Sox for MLB's first no-hitter of 2018A's lefty Sean Manaea blanks red-hot Red Sox for MLB's first no-hitter of 2018 CBSSports.comForget that one call; Sean Manaea deserves our full attention ESPN (blog)Sean Manaea throws seventh no-hitter in Oakland A's history SFGateSean Manaea Stuns Everyone by No-Hitting Baseball's Best Team Sports IllustratedFull coverage
- Militarized Cops At Tiny Georgia Neo-Nazi Rally Arrest Counterprotesters For Wearing MasksMilitarized Cops At Tiny Georgia Neo-Nazi Rally Arrest Counterprotesters For Wearing Masks HuffPostNeo-Nazi Rally Draws About Two Dozen People and Upends a Small Georgia City New York TimesAt least 1 arrested at neo-Nazi rally in Georgia The Hill (blog)Anti-fascists protest neo-Nazi rally in Georgia, leading to 10 arrests but no injuries USA TODAYFull coverage
- 'MAGA' maniac shoves Mexican man onto Union Square subway tracks in racist rampage'MAGA' maniac shoves Mexican man onto Union Square subway tracks in racist rampage New York Daily NewsFull coverage
- As US, North Korea plan to meet, Iran warns against Trump dealsAs US, North Korea plan to meet, Iran warns against Trump deals ReutersIranian foreign minister says 'change of attitude' needed for prisoner swap talks PoliticoIran open to prisoner swap if US has "change of attitude," says Foreign Minister CBS NewsIs The Oil Market Ready For Sanctions On Iran? OilPrice.com'It will not be very pleasant,' Iran warns, if Trump sabotages […]
- Mitt Romney fails to secure Utah GOP nomination, will face primaryMitt Romney fails to secure Utah GOP nomination, will face primary CNNRomney forced into primary for Utah Senate seat Washington PostRomney's Path To Succeed Utah Sen. Hatch Just Got More Complicated NPRFull coverage